These gluten free red velvet shortbread bars not only look pretty but have a great flavor and are easy to make!
I always seem to start thinking of red velvet at this time of year. It must be Valentine's Day that inspires it for me. But, it's not just the look of red velvet that I love, but the flavor. There's something so special about it. It's not quite chocolate, but definitely not vanilla. These shortbread bars have a unique flavor, with just a touch of vinegar, vanilla, and cocoa powder. And the M&Ms perfectly complete them!
Red Velvet Shortbread Bars
- 6 Tablespoons Butter, room temperature
- 1/2 Cup Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 teaspoon Vinegar
- 1/2 Cup White Rice Flour
- 1/3 Cup Tapioca Flour or Cornstarch
- 2 Tablespoons Cocoa Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Xanthan Gum
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- Food coloring, optional
- 1/2 Cup Mini (or regular) M&Ms
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the rice flour, cornstarch, cocoa powder, xanthan gum and salt.
- Put the butter and sugar into the bowl of your mixer and beat until light and fluffy.
- Add the vanilla and vinegar to the butter mixture and beat again.
- Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture and beat until combined.
- Line an 8x8 pan with parchment paper and pat the dough into it.
- Spread M&Ms over top and pat into it.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Cool slightly before slicing.