This bagel bread is slightly sweet, and I make it in small slices that are perfect toasted and served with cheese. I also like to make croutons out of this bread and add them to salads for a perfect crunch.
Most recently, I made this bread for my New Year's Eve party. I cut it into thin slices, toasted it, and served it with the cheese tray. It was a big hit.
Here is it before it's baked...
And this is what it looks like sliced.
Gluten Free and Vegan Bagel Bread
- 3 Tablespoons Water
- 1 Tablespoon Flaxseed Meal
- 1/3 Cup Warm Water
- 2 Tablespoons Sugar
- 1 teaspoon yeast
- 2 Tablespoons Oil
- 1/2 Cup Brown Rice Flour
- 2/3 Cup Tapioca Starch
- 2 Tablespoons Potato Starch
- 1 1/4 teaspoon Xanthan Gum
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- Heat the 3 Tablespoons of water in the microwave and add to it the flaxseed meal. Let sit for 10 minutes.
- In another small, microwave safe bowl heat 1/3 cup water just until warmed but not too hot to kill the yeast. Add yeast and sugar and set aside for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in the bowl of a stand mixer combine starches, rice flour, xanthan gum and salt.
- Go back to your liquid ingredients and add the flax-egg and the oil to the yeast mixture.
- Add the liquids to the dry ingredients and mix on low until combined. Turn mixer to medium and mix for 2 to 3 minutes more.
- Spoon batter evenly into two mounts on a parchment lined baking sheet. Form two loaves, roughly 5 by 2 inches, using wet fingers.
- Let rise for about half an hour. They will look a bit puffier, but don't expect them to double in size.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Bake for 22 to 28 minutes. Cool, slice and broil before serving, or freeze for later.