If you are looking for a good, simple chocolate cake and frosting recipe, one that is sure to please a crowd or be just as yummy consumed alone, this is the cake for you.
This Texas Sheet Cake recipe is absolutely delicious. I love it.
This is a half batch, so if you want an actual sheet cake (18x13) you'll have to double the recipe.
Gluten Free Texas Sheet Cake
- 3 Tablespoons water, hot
- 1 Tablespoon Flaxseed Meal
- 2/3 Cup White Rice Flour
- 1/3 Cup Cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon Xanthan Gum
- 1 Cup Sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 Cup Butter
- 3 Tablespoons Cocoa Powder
- 1/2 Cup Water, boiling
- 1/4 Cup Buttermilk (if you don't have any use 1/2 teaspoon vinegar and the rest milk, let sit 5 minutes)
- 1/2 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 teaspoon Baking Soda
- Heat 3 Tablespoons of water about 20 seconds in the microwave and add the flaxseed meal to it, setting aside for 10 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl whisk together the rice flour, cornstarch, xanthan gum, sugar and salt.
- Melt butter in a saucepan and whisk in the cocoa powder. Add the boiling water and stir, boiling, for 30 seconds.
- Pour the chocolate mixture into the flour mixture and stir a bit.
- Add the vanilla, buttermilk and baking soda to the flax-egg and combine. Add it to the chocolate/flour mixture and mix it all together.
- Pour into a 9x13 pan and bake for about 20 minutes.
- 6 Tablespoons Butter
- 2 Tablespoons Cocoa Powder
- 3 Tablespoons Milk
- 1/2 teaspoon Vanilla
- 2 Cups Powdered Sugar
- Melt the butter and then stir in the cocoa powder.
- Add the milk, vanilla and powdered sugar and stir.
- Pour over the cake while the cake is still warm.