These gluten free chocolate scones are the perfect breakfast treat! They are full of chocolate flavor and will soon become a family favorite!
I have fallen in love with scones since first making my gluten free chocolate chip scones. These have a bold flavor and are sweet, without being too sweet, and they are great for snacking on during the morning or any time of the day!
Gluten Free Double Chocolate Scones
- 1 Cup White Rice Flour
- 1/2 Cup Cornstarch
- 1/2 Cup Cocoa Powder
- 1/2 Cup Brown Sugar
- 2 1/2 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1 teaspoon Xanthan Gum
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1 Flax-egg (directions on side of blog)
- 1/2 Cup Butter
- 1/2 Cup Heavy Cream
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1 Cup Chocolate Chips, optional
- Grate 1/2 cup butter onto a wax paper lined plate. Stick in the freezer until solid.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a large bowl, measure the rice flour, cornstarch, cocoa powder, brown sugar, baking powder, xanthan gum and salt. Whisk to combine.
- Add the heavy cream and vanilla to the flax-egg and combine.
- Take the butter out of the freezer and use a pastry cutter or your fingers to work it into the flour mixture. Once it is nice and combined, add the wet ingredients and stir until moistened.
- Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Pour out onto a parchment paper lined baking sheet and press together lightly to form an 8' disc. Dough will be a bit crumbly. Cut into about 10 scones.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes.
- Remove from oven, cool, and consume.