Light and fluffy, moist, bursting with flavor... you don't know what you were missing out on until you've had one of these banana muffins. Seriously.
My sister asked if I'd still make them if we stop going gluten free. They are that good.
Whether you eat gluten free or not, I encourage you to try these. Your life (or at least, your breakfasts and snacks) will forever be changed. There muffins are just that amazing. I make them about once a week, if not more often. They go fast among me and my sisters.
The Best Gluten Free Banana Muffins
- 1/2 cup butter, softened (or you could try shortening, as the original recipe suggests)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 cup mashed, over-ripe bananas (about three bananas should do it)
- 2 Tablespoons flaxmeal
- 6 Tablespoons hot water
- 1 2/3 cup brown rice flour
- 1/3 cup potato starch
- 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees, grease muffin tin (makes 12 - 14 muffins)
- Mash the banana with a fork. Mix the sugar in with it and set aside.
- Right away, mix together the 6 Tablespoons of hot water and the 2 Tablespoons flaxmeal. Let the banana and flaxmeal mixtures sit for 10 minutes.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the brown rice flour, potato starch, xanthan gum, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Whisk together and set aside.
- In the bowl of your mixer, beat your butter for about 20 seconds, or until light and fluffy. Add first the flax mixture and beat until smooth. Scrape down the bowl.
- Add to your mixture half of the dry ingredients, and blend until smooth.
- Add all of the banana mixture and blend again, until well incorporated.
- Add the rest of the dry ingredients and blend until smooth, about 20 seconds.
- Fill muffin tin with the thick batter, each about 2/3 full.
- Bake on the middle rack for 25 minutes, or until deep, golden brown.
Recipe found here.