My sister brought home a huge zucchini that she had grown in our parents' garden, the other day, and it made about fourteen cups of shredded zucchini. Yes, I said fourteen cups.
Luckily, I enjoy baking with zucchini. I had quite a few recipes that I wanted to try out, and this bread was just one of them. And a delicious one, at that.
This bread is super moist, chocolate-y and yummy. Plus, you can't even tell that the zucchini is there (which I count as a bonus, even though I like the moisture that it gives to baked goods!)
If you find yourself with an abundance of zucchini this time of year, as well, then I encourage you to try out this recipe! You and your family will be sure to love it.
Gluten Free Chocolate Zucchini Bread
- 3 Tablespoons Water
- 1 Tablespoon Flaxseed Meal
- 1/2 Cup Sugar
- 2 1/2 Tablespoons Oil
- 1/4 Cup Yogurt
- 1/2 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 3 Tablespoons Cocoa Powder
- 1/2 Cup Rice Flour
- 1/4 Cup Cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon Xanthan Gum
- 3/4 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1/8 teaspoon Salt
- 1 1/2 Cup Zucchini
- 1/2 Cup Chocolate Chips (plus a bit more for topping)
- Heat the water in the microwave about 20 seconds. Add the flaxseed meal and set aside for about 10 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Add the flax-egg and sugar to the bowl of your mixer and beat until well combined.
- Add the olive oil, yogurt and vanilla to liquid ingredients and beat again.
- Grab a spatula and stir the cocoa powder into the wet ingredients.
- Whisk together rice flour, cornstarch, xanthan gum, baking powder and salt. Sift into the other ingredients and stir just until combined.
- Stir in the zucchini until it is coated with the batter, being careful to not over mix. Add a touch of flour to the chocolate chips and stir them in.
- Pour into a greased 8 1/2 by 4 1/2 inch loaf pan, top with a few more chocolate chips, and place in the oven.
- Bake 45 to 55 minutes.