Sunday, August 16, 2015

Gluten Free Sugar Cookies With Sprinkles!

I love it when I happen upon some really fun, creative recipes on the web. There are so many great food bloggers out there, and I have happened upon so many recipes that have left me feeling inspired.

This recipe caught my eye one day and I immediately knew that I had to try it with a gluten free twist. My nieces love sprinkles, and I wanted to try these cookies out for them. I can't wait to see how they react when I bring them these cookies later this week (I stuck them in the freezer for now.)

Thank you, Just Add Sprinkles for sharing this great recipe!


Pretty, aren't they?

Part of what attracted me to the gluten free diet in the first place (aside from the health benefits) was the fact that I would have the challenge to take gluten filled recipes and turn them into gluten free recipes, without sacrificing any of the flavors or textures. I feel that I have been able to accomplish that with these cookies. 

They turned out perfectly chewy, buttery and delicious. And so pretty.



Gluten Free Sugar Cookies With Sprinkles
  • 1 1/2 Tablespoon Water
  • 1/2 Tablespoon Flaxseed Meal
  • 1/2 Cup Unsalted Butter, at room temperature
  • 1/2 Cup Sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon Vanilla extract
  • 3/4 Cup plus 2 Tablespoons White Rice Flour
  • 1/4 Cup plus 2 Tablespoons Cornstarch
  • 1 teaspoon Xanthan Gum
  • 1/4 teaspoon Baking Powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon Baking Soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon Salt
  • Sugar or Sprinkles, for rolling
  1. Heat water in the microwave for 15-20 seconds. Add the flaxseed meal to it and combine. Set aside for 10 minutes.
  2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
  3. In a medium size bowl measure white rice flour, cornstarch, xanthan gum, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Whisk to combine.
  4. Place butter and sugar in mixer bowl and beat until light and fluffy, about two minutes.
  5. Add the flax-egg and vanilla to the butter mixture and beat until combined.
  6. Turn the mixer onto low and slowly add in the flour mixture until it is all combined.
  7. Pour sugar or sprinkles into a bowl, form dough into small balls, and roll them in the sugar or sprinkles. Place on parchment lined baking sheet and toss into the oven.
  8. Bake cookies for 8 to 10 minutes. Makes 10 to 18 cookies, depending on size (I made mine a bit on the smaller side.)
Adapted from this recipe.


I'm sure any kid (or kid at heart) in your life will enjoy these cookies very much!
-Bethany

2 comments:

  1. Bethany, they look beautiful! I'll have to try this gluten free version myself :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look so fun! I just love sprinkles!

    ReplyDelete