Love red velvet cake? Try these gluten free red velvet whoopie pies. They have a cake-like texture in a cookie form!
To me, red velvet is much more about the chocolate/vanilla taste than the color. But you can certainly add red food coloring if you want to!
Gluten Free Red Velvet Whoopie Pies
- 2 Tablespoon Unsalted Butter, melted and cooled
- 2 Tablespoons Unsalted Butter, at room temperature
- 1 Flax-Egg (directions on side of blog)
- 2 teaspoons Vanilla Extract
- 1 teaspoon Vinegar
- 1/2 Cup Milk
- 3/4 Cup Rice Flour
- 1/2 Cup Tapioca Starch
- 1/2 Cup Sugar
- 1 Tablespoon Cocoa Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Xanthan Gum
- 1/2 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1/4 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- Red Food Coloring, optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Melt two tablespoons of butter.
- In a large bowl, combine the rice flour, starch, sugar, cocoa powder, xanthan gum, baking soda, baking powder, salt and mix.
- Add the melted and softened butters and mix into the dry ingredients with a fork until crumbly.
- Add the flax-egg, vanilla, vinegar and food coloring (if using) and mix.
- Add the milk and beat until the batter thickens and becomes elastic.
- Line baking sheets with parchment paper and scoop out your batter into small rounds. Bake for 8-10 minutes.
- Allow to cool on baking sheet and then completely on cooling rack. Find pairs and fill with the frosting of your choice.