One of the first successful gluten free recipes that I ever tried, these bagels are fairly simple to make, and they are chewy and delicious!
Gluten Free/Egg Free Bagels
- 3 Tablespoons Water
- 1 Tablespoon Flaxseed Meal
- 1/3 Cup Warm Water
- 2 Tablespoons Sugar
- 1 teaspoon yeast
- 2 Tablespoons Oil
- 1/2 Cup Brown Rice Flour
- 2/3 Cup Tapioca Starch
- 2 Tablespoons Potato Starch
- 1 1/4 teaspoon Xanthan Gum
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- Heat the 3 Tablespoons of water in the microwave and add to it the flaxseed meal. Let sit for 10 minutes.
- In another small, microwave safe bowl heat 1/3 cup water just until warmed but not too hot to kill the yeast. Add yeast and sugar and set aside for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in the bowl of a stand mixer combine starches, rice flour, xanthan gum and salt.
- Go back to your liquid ingredients and add the flax-egg and the oil to the yeast mixture.
- Add the liquids to the dry ingredients and mix on low until combined. Turn mixer to medium and mix for 2 to 3 minutes more.
- Pipe or spoon batter onto a parchment lined baking sheet, using wet hands to form your bagels (I just put a circle on the sheet and then make the hole in the center with my wet fingers).
- Let rise for about half an hour. They will look a bit puffier, but don't expect them to double in size.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes. Cool, cut in half and eat or freeze for later.
Find the original recipe here.
Hope you're having a great Sunday, everyone!