A chocolate chip cookie for breakfast? I think yes.
Okay, so these scones aren't exactly cookies, but they taste just like them! They are the perfect breakfast item for any chocolate chip cookie lover!
I have tried making chocolate chip scones before, but believe me, nothing has compared with these. These are soft, light, caramely and delicious. Just like a chocolate chip cookie turned into a scone.
Don't let the amount of steps that it takes to make these deter you. All of the work will pay off when you take your first bite!
Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Scones
- 1 1/3 Cup White Rice Flour
- 2/3 Cup Cornstarch
- 1/2 Cup Brown Sugar
- 2 1/2 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1 teaspoon Xanthan Gum
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1 Tablespoon Flaxseed Meal
- 3 Tablespoons Water, Hot
- 1/2 Cup Butter
- 1/2 Cup Heavy Cream
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1 Cup Chocolate Chips
- Grate 1/2 cup butter onto a wax paper lined plate. Stick in the freezer until solid.
- Heat three tablespoons of water in the microwave for about 20 seconds. Add the flaxseed meal to it and set aside for about 10 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a large bowl, measure the rice flour, cornstarch, brown sugar, baking powder, xanthan gum and salt. Whisk to combine.
- Add the heavy cream and vanilla to the egg mixture and combine.
- Take the butter out of the freezer and use a pastry cutter or your fingers to work it into the flour mixture. Once it is nice and combined, add the wet ingredients and stir until moistened.
- Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Pour out onto a parchment paper lined baking sheet and press together lightly to form an 8' disc. Dough will be a bit crumbly. Cut into about 10 scones.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes.
- Remove from oven, cool, and enjoy!